B. CHAPTERS IN BOOKS:
- 'Wittgenstein's Reception of Wagner: Language, Music and Culture'
in Wittgenstein Reading/editors: Sacha Brue, Wolfgang Huemer, Daniel
Steuer. De Gruyter, 2013.
- 'Kai Nielsen: Secular Humanist all the way down' in Icons of
Unbelief: Atheists, Agnostics and Secularists, edited by S. T. Joshi,
Greenwood Press, Westport and London, pp. 279-295.
- 'Wittgensteinian Fideism 1967-89: An Appreciation,' in D.Z.
Phillips and Kai Nielsen, Wittgensteinian Fideism? SCM Press,
Canterbury, UK, 2005, pp. 1-18.
- 'Reading Wittgenstein on Reading' (co-authored) in 2 above.
- 'A Portrait of Wittgenstein as a Weiningerian' in 2 above.
- 'Introduction' to 3 above.
- 'Neither Nothing Nor Something' in Marlene Kadar (ed.) Lifewriting (Oxford University Press), 1992.
- 'Moral Expertise', in Wes Cragg (ed.) Contemporary Moral Problems, First, Second and Third editions, (McGraw-Hill/Ryerson), 1987.
- 'The Self, Its Passions and Self-Deception' in M.W. Martin (ed.) Self-Deception and Self-Understanding: New Essays in Philosophy and Psychology (University of Kansas), 1985.
- 'On Irrationality' in Theodore Geraets (ed.) Rationality Today/La Rationalité
(University of Ottawa Press), 1977.
C. ARTICLES IN REFEREED JOURNALS
- 'Wittgenstein on Self-deception in Science, Psychology and
Philosophy' (with Peter Campbell) in Wittgenstein-Studien Volume 4, issue 1, 2013.
- 'Wittgenstein on Musical Irony', Wittgenstein-Studien. (DeGruyter)
April 2012, Volume 3.
- 'Wittgenstein Listens to Mahler', Dialogue, Volume XLVI,
No. 1, 2007: pp. 91-113.
- 'Wittgenstein and Musical Formalism', Philosophy, Journal of
the Royal Institute, November, 2006
- 'After Religion? Kai Nielsen on Wittgenstein on Religion',
- 'Hypocrisy and Privacy.' Journal of Philosophical Research. volume 27, 2002, pp. 601-618. co-authored.
- Hypocrisy, Change of Mind, Weakness of Will. Metaphilosophy. pp. 60-78, 1999. co-authored.
- Was Wittgenstein an Anti-Semite?: The Significance of Anti-Semitism for Wittgensteins Philosophy. Canadian Journal of Philosophy.Vol. 30, pp. 1-27 (Lead Article), 1999.
- Addiction and Authorship. EA: Canadian Journal of Aesthetics. May, 1999.
- Hypocrisy and Consequentialism. co-authored. Utilitas. pp. 168-194, 1998.
- Hypocrisy After Aristotle. co-authored. Dialogue. pp. 545-570, 1998.
- Wittgensteins Women: The Significance of Misogyny in Wittgensteins Philosophy. Journal of Philosophical Research,1997.
- Autobiography and Philosophy. Metaphilosophy.1995.
- Reading Rousseau Through the Eyes of Embarrassment. British Journal of Aesthetics, Oxford University Press, July, 1994.
- 'Autobiography After Wittgenstein.' Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism. Lead Paper, 1992.
- 'Embarrassment and Self-Esteem.' Journal for Philosophical Research, USA, 1990.
- 'Jealousy and Self-Knowledge.' Proceedings of the World Congress of Philosophy (ed. Venant Cauchy) Montreal, 1988.
- 'Freud, Self-Knowledge and Psychoanalysis.' Canadian Journal of Philosophy, 1982.
- 'Wittgenstein on Mistrusting Ones Own Belief.' Canadian Journal of Philosophy, 1981.
- 'Wittgenstein on Belief.' Philosophical Papers, 1981.
- 'Morality and Class.' Philosophical Studies, Ireland, 1980.
- 'Hypocrisy.' Canadian Journal of Philosophy, Lead Paper, 1979.
- 'Moral Expertise.' Canadian Journal of Philosophy, 1978.
- 'Rylean Belief.' Philosophical Studies, Ireland, 1978.
- 'Fingarette on Self-Deception.' Philosophical Papers, South Africa, 1977.
- 'Butler on Corrupt Conscience.' Journal of the History of Philosophy, USA, 1976.
- 'The Morality of Self-Deception.' Dialogue, Canada, 1974.
- 'Self-Deception.' Canadian Journal of Philosophy, 1974.
- 'Rorty on Belief and Self-Deception.' Inquiry, Norway, 1974.
- 'Wishful Thinking and Self-Deception.' Analysis, England, 1972-73.
D. CRITICAL NOTICES:
Alfred Mele's Irrationality, Oxford University Press (1987) Canadian Journal of Philosophy, June, 1990.
- Review of James C. Klagge, Wittgenstein in Exile. Philosophy in
Review, Volume 31, No 5, 2011.
- 'Wittgenstein and Ethical Inquiry: A Defense of Ethics as
Clarification' in Philosophy in Review, August 2008, XXVIII, No. 4,
- 'The Sense of an Ending', A Review Essay of Bernard
Williams, On Opera (Books in Canada, Volume 36, Issue 3, pp.
- 'Scoring Music' A Review of Philosophy of Music: An
Introduction, Books in Canada, November, 2006.
- Review of Ranjit Chatterjee, Wittgenstein and Judaism: A Triumph
of Concealment, Philosophy in Review, 2006.
- Review of Duncan Richter, Historical Dictionary of
Wittgenstein's Philosophy, Philosophy in Review, 2005.
- Review of Ludwig Wittgenstein: Public and Private Occasions, edited
by James Klagge and Alfred Nordmann, 2003, in Philosophy in Review
- Review of Wittgenstein: Biography and Philosophy, edited by James
Klagge, Cambridge University Press, 2001 in Philosophy in Review,
- Review of Otto Weininger, On Last Things, (translated by Steven Burns), Edwin Mellen Press, 2001. in Philosophy in Review, volume xxI, No.5, pp. 380-382.
- John Caputo, The Prayers and Tears of Jacques Derrida: Religion Without Religion.' Dialogue, co-authored, 2000.
- Dawne McCance, 'Posts: Re-Engaging The Ethical.' Canadian Journal of Religious Studies, co-authored, 2000.
- Kuipers, Hart, Nielsen (eds.) 'Walking the Tightrope of Faith.' Philosophy in Review, co-authored, 2000.
- Annette Barnes, Seeing Through Self-Deception. Philosophy in Review, pp. 79-82, 1999.
- Grace Jantzen, "Becoming Divine: toward a Feminist Philosophy of Religion." Philosophy in Review, Vol. 19, pp. 428-431, co-authored, December,1999.
- 'Terence Penelhum, Reason and Religious Faith. Canadian Philosophical Reviews, co-authored, 1997.
- Nancy Harrowitz and Barbara Hyams (eds.), Jews and Gender: Response to Otto Weininger. Philosophy and Literature, 1996.
- Norman Malcolm, Wittgenstein: A Religious Point of View. Canadian Philosophical Reviews, 1995.
- Susan Brill, Wittgenstein and Critical Theory. Canadian Philosophical Reviews, 1995.
- Justin Oakley, Morality and the Emotions. Canadian Philosophical Reviews, 1994.
- 'Travels with Wittgenstein' a review of the diaries of David Pinsent.' Canadian Philosophical Reviews, 1992.
- J. Tilghman, 'Wittgenstein, Ethics and Aesthetics: The View from Eternity.' Canadian Philosophical Reviews, 1992.
- Robert Dunn, 'The Possibility of Weakness of Will.' Canadian Philosophical Reviews, 1988.
- Mike W. Martin, 'Self-Deception and Morality.' Canadian Philosophical Reviews, 1987.
- Lloyd Steffen, 'Self-Deception and the Common Life.' Canadian Philosophical Reviews, 1987.
- Jay Newman, 'Fanaticism and Hypocrisy.' Canadian Philosophical Reviews, 1987.
- 'Wittgenstein Conversations,' a review of O.K. Bowsma's memoirs in Dialogue, 1987.
- David Pears, 'Motivated Irrationality.' Canadian Philosophical Reviews, 1986.
- Brian McGuinness (ed.) 'Wittgenstein and His Times.' Canadian Philosophical Reviews, 1984.
- M.R. Haight's 'A Study of Self-Deception.' Canadian Philosophical Reviews, 1982.
F. MISCELLANEOUS PUBLICATIONS:
- 'Prowling the Queen City with Martin Heidegger,' in Regina's
Secret Spaces: Love and Lore of Local Geography, edited by Lorne
Beug, Anne Campbell, Jeannie Mah, photograhy by Don Hall. Pp.
34-35, Canadian Plains Research Center, 2006.
- 'If an Elephant Could Speak,' p. 91 in above (with Heather
- Biographical entry for Saskatchewan Writers: Past and
Present, edited by Heather Hodgson (CPRC 2004)
- 'Misreading Kristjana Gunnars.' A short essay on The Prowler. Wascana Review, Winter 1990, and Prairie Fire, 1990.
- 'Tongues.' A poem. Dandelion, Winter 1990.
- 'Crossing with Jello' and 'Epilepsy.' Two poems. Prairie Fire, Winter 1989.
- 'Censored Postcards.' Grain, 1989.
G. PAPERS READ AT CONFERENCES:
- 'Commentary on Mike Hymers "Wittgenstein, Meaning, Method
and Morality‚"', May 2007, Canadian Philosophical
Association, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon.
- 'Wittgenstein and Mendelssohn', Canadian Society for
Aesthetics, May, 2007, University of Saskatchewan,
- 'Wittgenstein and Musical Formalism' Western Canadian
Philosophical Association, Vancouver, October, 2006.
- 'Irony in Music: Sparshott and Wittgenstein' Canadian Society
for Aesthetics, 2006, York University, Toronto, Ontario.
- 'Wittgenstein Listens to Mahler', Western Canadian
Philosophical Association, Victoria, 2004.
- 'Wittgenstein Reads Plato', Western Canadian Philosophical Association, Lethbridge, 2004.
- 'What Do Hanslick and Wittgenstein Have in Common?' Canadian Society of Aesthetics, Winnipeg 2004.
- 'Wittgenstein Listens to Music,' Canadian Society of Aesthetics, Halifax, 2003.
- 'Hypocrisy and Privacy', Western Canadian Philosophical Association (WCPA), Edmonton, Alberta, 2000.
- Hypocrisy: Double-Standards and Equality (co-authored), Canadian Philosophical Association (CPA), Sherbrooke, Quebec, June 1999.
- Hypocrisy: The Complacent, the Self-Righteous and the Cynical (co-authored), Institute for Ethics and Public Policy, Washington, DC, 1999.
- Are There Out-of-the-Closet Hypocrites? (co-authored), WCPA, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, November, 1998.
- Addiction and Authorship, Joint Session: ACCUTE and CPA at Learneds, Ottawa, 1998.
- Politics and Hypocrisy (co-authored), CPA, St. John's, Newfoundland, 1997.
- Wittgenstein and Anti-Semitism, CPA, St. John's, Newfoundland, 1997.
- Hypocrisy, Change of Mind and Weakness of Will (co-authored), WCPA, Winnipeg, October 1997.
- Consequentialism and Hypocrisy (co-authored), International Society for Utilitarian Studies, New Orleans, March 1997.
- Two Concepts of Hypocrisy (co-authored), WCPA, Lethbridge, 1996.
- An Aristotelian account of Hypocrisy (co-authored), CPA, St. Catherines, 1995.
- Riches of Embarrassment International Society for Philosophy and Literature, March 1994.
- 'Self-Deception: A Schema Based Account' Third International Congress of Cognitive Science, San Sebastian, Spain, May 1993.
- 'Reading Rousseau Through the Eyes of Embarrassment,' ASA Pacific Division, Asilomar, California , March, 1993.
- 'Private Embarrassments' CPA, Learneds, May 1993.
- 'Self-Narration' symposium at the Canadian Society for Aesthetics (CSA), Learneds, May, 1993.
- 'Autobiography and Philosophy', WCPA, Vancouver, October, 1991.
- 'Embarrassment, Literary Criticism and Autobiography', CSA, Victoria, 1990.
- 'Wittgenstein's Aesthetics' ASA, Austin, Texas, 1990.
- 'Wittgenstein and Literature' The Future of Art, Lahti, Finland, 1990.
- 'Embarrassing Episodes', WCPA, Lethbridge, October 1989.
- Comments on Kai Nielsen's 'Farewell to the Tradition' WCPA, Calgary, October, 1988.
- 'Autobiography and Self-Deception: Reflections on the Death of Autobiography', CSA, Hamilton, 1987.
- Comments on 'The Systematic Elusiveness of the Ugly', ASA, Kansas, 1987.
- 'Comments on 'Wollheim and the Philosophy of Psychoanalysis', CPA, Hamilton, 1987.
- Symposium on Nielsen's Philosophy and Atheism, CPA, Winnipeg, 1986.
- Comments on 'Art and Real Life Emotions', ASA, Asilomar, California, 1986.
- 'Jealousy and Self-Knowledge' World Congress of Philosophy, Montreal 1984.
- Comments on 'Personal Identity, Moral Agency and Utilitarianism', APA, San Francisco, 1980.
- 'Wittgenstein on Belief', WCPA, Edmonton, 1979.
- Comments on 'Irrationality of Personal Hatred' CPA, 1979.
- 'Wittgenstein on Mistrusting One's Own Belief', CPA, 1979.
- Comments on 'Wittgenstein on Universals and Family Resemblances', CPA, 1979.
- 'Hypocrisy' CPA, London, 1978.
- 'On Moral Expertise', CPA, Fredericton, 1977.
- 'A Note on Irrationality', International Colloquium on Rationality Today, Ottawa, 1977.
- 'Nielsen on Morality and Class', WCPA, Lethbridge, 1976.
- 'Butler on Corrupt Conscience', CPA, Edmonton, 1975.
- 'Capital Punishment Revisited', WCPA, Calgary, 1975.
- Comments on Langford's 'Capital Punishment and Deterrence', CPA, Toronto, 1974.
H. INVITED SPEAKER:
- 1. 'Musical Self-Deception: Listening to Music with
Wittgenstein and Penelhum', The Penelhum Symposium, celebrating
the fortieth anniversary of the University of Calgary;
co-sponsored by the Department of Religious Studies and the
Department of Philosophy, November 4, 2006.
- 'Wittgensteinian Fideism: An Appreciation', Claremont
Conference in the Philosophy of Religion, Claremont University,
California, USA, February, 2003.
- "Weininger's and Wittgenstein's Reconceptions of Psychology",
Conference on the centenary re-evaluation of Otto Weininger's Sex
and Character, University of Sussex, Great Britain, June
- University of Alberta: 2000, Department of Philosophy.
- University of Calgary: 1994, Department of Philosophy.
- University of Saskatchewan: 1993, Department of Philosophy.
- University of Alberta: 1992, Department of Philosophy.
- University of Calgary: 1981, Institute of Humanities.
- Koestler in Control?, Globe and Mail, 1999, (Letter to the Books Editor).
- Semantic Peace Globe and Mail, 1998, (Letter to the Editor).
- Human Rights Commentary: Its Wrong to Give Qiao Shi an Honorary Degree Globe and Mail, April 18, 1996.